Panama Rail Road Steam Locomotives:
All images below courtesy: A.M. Bouche collection
Early two-in-one "Niles" Locomotive, designed for steep grades.(circa 1840-1850) with a second cylinder for the rack track.
Early Eng. "Colon" built by Portland Locomotive works
A left hand drive, saddle tank
Builder's Photo, from the Alex Saunders collection.
French Eng.: Canal de Panama #1
Photograph by Mon. Achard, from the Alex Saunders Collection
Hinkley Locomotive Co. Boston's : "Reclus", Canal de Panama #5
Built for the French Canal Co. Saddle Tank, sitting on a turntable.
Builder's photo. From the Alex Saunders Collection.
Eng. #30 at the Panama Yard (circa 1880)
Eng. #51 from the French era, south of Frijoles Station over the Frijoles River (1883)
Eng. #16, Bas Obispo Station from the South
Eng. "Lot" by Rogers on a Pontoon Bridge to river gravel pit, to get gravel for ballast (circa 1880)
Eng. #12, by Rogers, saddle tank, air brakes and air compressor
Eng. #1 "Ferd de Lesseps" built by Rogers for the French Canal Co. Saddle tank.(1885) Builders photo.
Eng. #540 Franco Belgian (1909) Converted by the ICC into a Shop Locomotive.
Eng. #543 Rebuilt Belgian Locomotive, Empire Shops, 1910
Eng. #101, Suburban type locomotive; this class was junked in 1915.
Old French Engine.
Belgian Eng. #103.
Ex ICC Eng. #802 now in Alaska.
Picture courtesy: Prakash Tendulkar
|Go to |
Picture Gallery Menu
|Go Forward to |
Next Picture Gallery